The truth is that capital campaigns are raising less than in the past so you need a creative way to fund your next building project. That line might not be a good sales line but it is the truth. Pledging since the Great Recession started is significantly lower for many reasons.
For one thing the “feel” of the economy is one that is fragile. For another investments simply are not making the money they once did. Have you checked CD rates lately? For another the Church’s best donor group, Baby Boomers, are entering into retirement. Even your most committed donors are worried about their retirement years and thus giving less to any capital campaign than in the past. With the next generations saddled with student loan debt and marginally committed to being generous to a church ALL churches face a challenging future.
Banks are going to become even less willing to loan money to churches. Not long ago a banking leader told me that since his bank is publically held he cannot loan money to any church that practices hate speech. Hate speech can be defined as preaching against homosexuality for instance. If you have every in the past preached that homosexual unions are prohibited then that is considered hate speech. His bank will not even talk to you. We might soon be faced with limited to dried up financing options.
My advice is this, build now what you need and work now to pay off what owe. I firmly believe we are entering into a winter season for the Church. The next five to ten years are our window of opportunity.
Funding buildings for the future will mean we need to be creative and think outside the box.
I am announcing a new partnership between The Charis Group and The Alpha Group to build Senior Care facilities for churches. I have just launched Senior Care For Church’s for two reasons. First, we must meet the needs of our aging members. Consider…
- Senior Care is one of America’s greatest needs as aging Americans increase daily.
- 10,000 Baby Boomers turn 65 every day and will for the next 20 years!
- 93% penetration rate of existing facilities in America for Sr’s makes this need crucial!
- America is headed for a crisis of care for our Senior Adults.
- Providing care has become one of the fastest growing real estate-related businesses in US.
- Churches have a unique opportunity to provide needed ministry AND reap financial return
How would Senior Care help your church?
- It gives the church a ministry opportunity right at your doorstep.
- It can provide much needed revenue to fund missions, ministry, pay down debt or provide dollars for future building projects.
- It gives your church high visibility in your community as a leader in Senior Care.
What is required of my church?
- A heart for ministering to Sr.’s and their families!
- Available acreage for building of facilities.
A willingness to get started NOW!
$900K upfront and $250K a year! That is how much one of my clients received for their land and how much they will get annually. This extra stream of revenue can and will go to provide additional facilities for my client. It will allow them to stock pile a significant amount of money. They will be able to pay off their debt, bank the rests to be their own bank in the future!
Interested? Contact me for more information at Mark@thecharisgroup.org
Mark Brooks – The Stewardship Coach